Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Senior Reflection


This is my senior reflection for the senior show. We were required to write a story capturing our passions and aspirations, our 4 years of experience at Taylor, and our hopes and dreams and how we want to impact culture for the glory of God.

So here's what I came up with...

I love to write. It’s as simple as that. Writing allows me to express my thoughts and opinions about anything under the sun. The little joys of life inspire and motivate me to leave my own unique handprint on the world.

When I was young, I aspired to be a teacher so I could educate others and help shape their character and worldview. That dream fizzled out when I discovered the joys of playing the guitar and drums – I wanted to be a rock star. But after countless ‘jamming’ sessions that left my head pounding and my ears protesting, I came to the conclusion that I was not cut out for the grueling ‘rock ‘n roll’ lifestyle. So I decided to be a worship leader instead. That way, I could utilize my passion for music and still keep my hearing intact 30 years down the road.

I composed numerous songs and thought I was well on my way to fulfilling my purpose in life, when it hit me – I found greater pleasure in writing the songs than in performing them. That revelation set me on the path of writing, which opened up a whole new world filled with all kinds of possibilities.

My desire is to provide light-hearted entertainment through my words, as well as impact the lives of others by evoking emotion and provoking thought. I enjoy writing about my passions: entertainment, fashion, travel, culture, and food. I have worked for a diverse variety of companies, such as an online lifestyle magazine, a talent agency, a university newspaper, and a matchmaking agency. Each experience has been truly beneficial and eye opening. I wish to contribute to culture by crafting compelling stories that will speak profoundly to and leave a lasting impression on the hearts and minds of others.

My four years at Taylor have been an incredible rollercoaster ride of laughter and tears, convictions and doubts, successes and disappointments, and breakthroughs and setbacks. Every experience has taught me something new. I learned to step out of my comfort zone and reach out to a world in need. I found my own distinctive voice and style of writing. I came to appreciate the beauty of diversity. I built friendships with some of the most amazing people I have ever met.

Through the ups and downs of life, God is the one constant I can always depend on. To others, I may be just another writer, but I believe God has given me this gift so I may be a blessing to the world. I want to live my life in such a way that, at the end of the day, I can say I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have kept the faith.

Writing is my way of communicating to the world who I am, what I believe in, and what I want to achieve.

No comments: