Monday, November 15, 2010

Bangers and flash

'Bangers and flash' - that's the name of a church event we had this past Friday. I know it sounds kind of weird, but basically it means 'sausages and fireworks' in British slang.



This weekend, our team was down to 3, because one went off to an event for her country, and another went to London with his dad who was visiting. So it was down to just me and two other guys. But since it's been over 2 months, we've gotten past all the annoying quirks and we know and love each other now, so I had fun with them this weekend - going to the event, doing chores all day (for some reason, my team is scheduled to do the dishes for every meal every weekend), walking an hour to and from church... stuff like that. I'm really glad the new guy joined our team, because he cracks me up all the time; he just says the funniest things!

Like today at church, there was a disabled person who had a nose problem, and so he was sniffling really loudly every 5 seconds (and it sounded really gross, like he was swallowing his mucus). Needless to say, I couldn't concentrate on the sermon at all. And then my teammate did the funniest impression of the guy. It's hard to explain, but I was laughing so hard on the way back, I couldn't walk properly.

So anyway, we went to church early to help out. I cut up hot dog buns and realized they are made out of white bread, which has zero nutrition or anything good for your body. I don't know why I never knew this, but now I will never eat another hot dog bun or burger bun. We set up the tables and chairs and food in the small hall, and after spending all that time in the kitchen, my hair smelled disgustingly like grease and oil because here in England, people fry their burgers and hot dogs instead of grilling them like normal people do.

The event went really well - there were a lot of people from the community who turned up for the free food and fireworks. We learned that most of them come to church once a year - for this event. But hey, better than nothing, right? At least they know the church is always open to them and that we welcome them with open arms.


We watched the store-bought fireworks shoot up from the church's car park and light up the sky for about 20 minutes, and then went inside for yummy burgers and hot dogs and vegetable soup and jacket potatoes (baked potatoes with cheese and baked beans). I was surprised to learn it wasn't illegal to buy fireworks here. I wish we could do that in Singapore too, but then who knows what kinds of casualties would occur if people were irresponsible.

One of the girls whom I've gotten close to from youth group turned up, and she brought a friend, so I hung out with them for the night. They're so cute. They're 16 but they act so mature. And they think I look no older than 18 - that's a reason to be good friends right there. The friend told me she wanted to join the army next year, after she graduated from high school. Apparently a lot of girls are doing that now, for various reasons such as the abundance of hot army guys in the camps, the money they get paid, the opportunity to travel... and some just like the physical part of it (I don't understand why). But I thought it was really interesting, talking to her. I shared with them my adventures in the US, and they were enthralled - they adore Hollywood and Disneyland and they're aiming to go there sometime in their lives.

So it was a really fun night. I really like talking to people one-on-one (or in a small group) much more than in a large group; because I'm not the most outspoken person in the room, I usually get lost in a crowd, and I don't really get the chance to speak up.


Sunday was Remembrance Sunday, a day in the UK where people everywhere take 2 minutes of silence at 11am to remember those who gave their lives in the world wars. It was really cool to see people of all ages, genders, and races come together and wear the red poppy badge as a symbol of respect.

No comments: