Friday, November 05, 2010

Oxford is for smart and good-looking people

We road tripped down to Oxford last Wednesday with our team, our supervisor's family, and a couple random girls... all squashed together in a minivan. It was awesome. Although I now have unglamorous photos of me sleeping peacefully on the way back.


Oxford is a really pretty and quaint town, just like all the other towns here in England. I really wish Singapore had such pretty quaint towns like these. It just makes me so happy strolling down the street, admiring the beautiful ancient buildings mixed with modern ones.

Our first stop was supposedly the oldest building in Oxford - what else - a church.



We met the priest inside, who gave us an interesting lecture of the church. Then we paid a pound each to climb the stairs to the roof and see the view of the surrounding areas.




The church overall was okay. I'm not one for commercialized churches, honestly. I think it's rather disrespectful to allow people to come in and out of the church, make loud noises, snap annoying pictures, and leave a mess. Also, a gift shop in the church?! How people manage to worship genuinely in places like these, I don't understand. I mean, I'm all for churches being open to anyone who wants to enter, but not as a tourist attraction.

Anyway, after that, we walked around and shopped a little. I only bought an Oxford University t-shirt since it's a famous uni for smart people.


Some cool building. I don't know what's inside, but every building in Oxford looks cool like this.


Cheers from Oxford! - inside a souvenir shop


Going into some museum


Outside some school. Inside those doors was where HARRY POTTER was FILMED!! The infirmary scene and the dance class scene. Coolness. We paid 1 pound to go in and check it out. England really knows how to extort tourists. Everything costs money!


HARRY POTTER AND HERMIONE AND RON WERE IN HERE AT SOME POINT IN TIME!!!


SO WAS I :)



Since Harry Potter danced here, we wanted to, too.





We found a cool cake shop at a cute little marketplace where we had lunch.


They even have a cake for gay couples. Weird.


I love fall and pretty trees.


In this building was where they filmed the Harry Potter dining room scene. We wanted to go in, but it costs 6 pounds (12SGD) just to enter. Ridiculous. I'm not that big of a HP fan, so I didn't care.


This is what schools in Oxford look like. So cool and yet so intimidating. I think I would be scared if I had to go to class in these buildings everyday. Magical creatures might just jump out from the shadows anytime.


We found a tiny Alice in Wonderland shop, which sold cute things like t-shirts, Mad Hatter tea bags, chocolate, keychains, postcards, and all kinds of quaint stuff.


This postcard in particular was funny. Oh British people and their habits. Cracks me up. Will write a post on that sometime.

All in all, it was a pretty fun trip. I like getting out of the base and exploring a new town.

No comments: