Sunday, June 07, 2009

A collection of random thoughts

.Interesting Conversations.

Shopping again in Soho. I think the shopkeepers recognize us by now. Listened in on an interesting conversation between my roomie and her friend -- about their experience losing their virginity. awkwardness. actually, most conversations my roomie has are pretty fascinating. in a weird way. talks alot about boys and wearing skin tight clothes and enticing them and hooking up for one-night stands.
Hello, welcome to the real world.

.Rich and Famous.
I just realized my boss is super duper rich. has an architect tycoon husband and a house in the glamorous Hamptons. kinda jealous. just a little. (she's gorgeous too)
Why do some people have it all and others have nothing at all?

.The Not-so-Big Apple.
Have you ever felt all alone in a crowd?
Today, i was walking to Barnes and Nobles to check it out, and suddenly i felt a teeny bit lonely. Everyone from my internship program has friends here from school or home or something, and all i have is... no one.

I guess i do know 2 friends here from Taylor, but it's not the same. I can't help wishing i had friends and family here to experience this with me. I'm going through this crazy rollercoaster journey doing my first internship in NYC, and.... as much as i describe it, i can't really share it with anyone.
But you know what? I'm not being arrogant or anything, but I kinda am really proud of myself for making it this far. Looking back, i really CANNOT believe i actually left home at the tender age of 19 to live on my own in some foreign land. (What were my parents thinking?!?! Probably that this would be an experience of a lifetime. And they were right. As usual.)

So i'm kinda amazed i survived. and i'm actually independent. and learning not to take things for granted, since i have to buy my own groceries, do my own laundry, clean my own room/bathroom, take care of my own health, pay my own credit card bills, etc.
I know it's small stuff, but still... i'm actually living on my own in a big city. Not sure if i like it that much. The hustle and bustle... the people going about their day, not giving a second glance to anyone... It really is the city that never sleeps. (Hearing ambulance/police sirens every 10 mins isn't very encouraging.)
If I do work here after I graduate, I think i'll start small, in a smaller city/suburb and work my way up. New York is really everything people say it is, and more, but I feel like it's a better vacation destination than a place to call home.


Gonna check out Times Square Church tomorrow.

No comments: