Saturday, June 19, 2010

Life in Perth


Hello, familiar countryside. Otherwise better known as Perth, Australia.

I have to say I didn't know what to expect, coming to Perth. It was just something to do, to get away from the humidity of Singapore, an excuse to give to others when they ask me what I'm going to do with my life now that I'm a college graduate. But it's good that I didn't have any expectations, because this place would have crushed them. It's a little scary, the way Perth reminds me of Upland, Indiana, the place I recently escaped from and swore I would never return to (unless it was for the weekend to visit good friends).

My first thought when we were driving from the airport to the house was, "This place looks suspiciously like Indiana!" With its terrace houses, spread out properties, tons of abandoned land, even an animal or two wandering around in the grass along the road. It's just my luck - to go halfway around the world only to end up in Upland, Indiana, No. 2., only this time it's worse because I don't have friends here and I'm forced to work at a pizza place SIX days a week, 9am to 5pm, getting paid by my own parents, which is pointless cause it's like family money. And then everything here closes at 5pm SHARP, even the sun says goodnight and goes to sleep, and so I'm left with the entire evening and night to myself. The TV has a grand total of FOUR channels, I didn't bring any of my movie DVDs with me, all my favorite TV shows have ended their seasons in May, so yeah.

I have to find something productive to do with my time. Like frantically searching the web to find something that will get me away from here in the fall. Because this is only temporary. No way am I staying here until next year, much less for the rest of my life. I'm in my twenties, for crying out loud, I need to be somewhere exciting, where I can meet crazy new people and go on adventures and take risks. New York City, anyone?

For the 100th time, how I wish I had a friend who would travel the world with me (backpacking) and work in different countries to make money for our adventures. WHY DONT I HAVE ANY FRIENDS LIKE THAT. Why are all my friends going straight from school to work? Doesn't anyone want to explore this great big world and experience things beyond their comfort zone???

Anyway, I'm not bitter or anything. I don't regret coming here. I love the cold weather, because it means no more sweating profusely every second of every day, like in Singapore. Unless I'm on the elliptical in the house, which I'm tremendously grateful for, because it means something else to do at night, plus it's good exercise in the comfort of home. Also, since I have bundles of time every night, I will be learning how to cook! Healthy lifestyle, here I come! And of course I'm happy to be spending time with my mom and brothers, whom I haven't seen since last year. In some ways they've changed, in many ways they haven't. My little brothers are all grown up now. Makes me feel a little old.

So... During my time here, however long I'm staying, I will accomplish my goals!

Goal #1: Eat healthy and workout everyday. (Unless it's sunday, then maybe I will take a break)

Goal #2: Make money from Sarpino's and maybe find another job so I can make money from other people... And make enough of it that I can move to New York City or somewhere by next summer.

Goal #3: Take a class or find a new hobby to occupy the ridiculous amounts of free time I have. Life is too short to sleep.

No comments: