So anyway, even though I don't memorize movie quotes word for word, there are several movie quotes that kind of stuck out to me over the years...
The Devil Wears Prada

LOVE this film. I'd say it was Anne Hathaway's breakthrough from being typecast as 'the girl from The Princess Diaries.' Although it intimidates me a little, thinking about how cutthroat the magazine industry is.
So there's this scene where Miranda's assistant talks about her obsession with her body image, and she goes, "I'm on this new diet, it's very effective. I don't eat anything, and when I feel like I'm about to faint, I eat a cube of cheese... I'm one stomach flu away from reaching my goal weight."
Painfully true reflection of society today.
When Harry Met Sally

Classic friends-turned-to-lovers story. I liked the part when Harry turned up at the party in the end and told Sally, after years of friendship and on-off relationships, "I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."
Hitch

One of the better romantic comedies - original and not as cheesy as other films. And you can tell that I'm somewhat of a romantic, because I liked when Hitch said, "So how does it happen, great love? Nobody knows... But what I can tell you is that it happens in the blink of an eye. One moment you're enjoying your life, and the next you're wondering how you ever lived without them."
Mean Girls

I don't know what it is about this movie, but it's owned by practically every girl on campus at Taylor. I guess it's a pretty true and ironic portrayal of girls and high school. So there's this part where Cady gets a revelation after doing a complete 180 and realizing she was becoming 'plastic,' and she says, "Calling somebody else fat won't make you any skinnier. Calling someone stupid doesn't make you any smarter."
Totally agree. Whoever said sticks and stones will break your bones, but words won't hurt, was completely lying.
500 Days of Summer

I just watched this movie again, and I love everything about it. The cinematography, the music, the actors and the acting, the plot, and the wicked dialogue. Although I kind of disagreed with what the narrator said at the end, "Most days of the year are unremarkable. They begin and they end with no lasting memory made in between. Most days have no impact on the course of a life."
I think everything we do has an impact - on our lives and on others'. Even the smallest, most insignificant things. So although sometimes we go through days that feel mundane and monotonous, I think they still have some sort of impact, because I believe everything happens for a reason, and it's that sort of mindset that helps you through the ups and downs of life. I mean, if you didn't believe things had an ultimate purpose or goal, then really what's the point of life at all?
Never Been Kissed

Okay I realized all my movies on this list are somewhat romantic comedies, but so what. They have good value too, especially when geeky Josie Geller tells her co-workers about how she's waiting for the right guy to come along and sweep her off her feet, and she says, "That thing, that moment, when you kiss someone and everything around becomes hazy and the only thing in focus is you and this person and you realize that that person is the only person that you're supposed to kiss for the rest of your life, and for one moment you get this amazing gift and you want to laugh and you want to cry because you feel so lucky that you found it and so scared that that it will go away all at the same time."
I used to think she was such an idealist and a dreamer, but now I think the world could use more people like that.
I also liked what she said at prom, when she declared to the high school kids that "There is a big world out there... bigger than prom, bigger than high school, and it won't matter if you were the prom queen, the quarterback of the football team, or the biggest nerd in school. Find out who you are and try not to be afraid of it."
So true. School totally doesn't matter. Who you were in high school or college doesn't matter, because you can totally reinvent yourself when you step out into 'the real world.'
Spiderman 3

Not the best Spiderman movie, but it had a crazy interesting quote. I think it was when Spidey was attacked by the black venom and went bad, and he said something like, "If you want forgiveness, get a religion."
Um, pretty sure I don't agree with that. Forgiveness is universal; we forgive each other, and God forgives us. It's not some rule within some religion. But then again, he said it when he was 'evil,' so I guess it makes sense that it would be controversial.
Zoolander

Ben Stiller cracks me up here. He's so incredibly stupid, it's actually funny. Like when he sees the model version of a center he's building, and he exclaims in genuine indignation, "What is this?? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building??"
His innocence/ignorance is hilarious.
Dumb and Dumber

Classic idiotic comedy, but oh so funny. Jim Carrey at his finest, channeling the stupidity of Lloyd. Like when he tries to hit on Mary.
Lloyd: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...
Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
(pause)
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance??? YEAH!
And when Harry tries to read the map to tell Lloyd where to go, he says, "According to the map, we've only gone 4 inches."
Hahaha.
I don't know how scriptwriters think of such great funny stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment