Friday, October 15, 2010

Harvest Sunday food

Last Sunday was Harvest Day or something, and so we had a potluck Harvest Lunch at church after service. Service was Harvest service, which was really cute because I have never seen anything like it before. We sang songs of thanksgiving to God for the harvest, which didn't really apply to me because I am not a farmer (or any one of us), but it was fun. And then the kids came up and handed canned and boxed food to two ladies in front of the church, and they decorated the front with flowers and cloths and donated food. It somewhat reminded me of Chinese New Year, maybe because of all the red cloths and flowers. But it was heartwarming to see the church so enthusiastic about giving to the poor.

On Saturday night, our team gathered at someone's house and cooked up a storm. Before that, I went to Birmingham to catch The Takers at the cinema (it costed 5 pounds, which is 10 SGD -- normal price for the weekend, I guess), and it was awful. Lots of fighting, explosions, and dead people - totally a manly movie, as one of the guys would say. And true enough, the guys came out of the theater carrying pretend guns and fake shooting people. Boys will be boys (no matter how old they are).

So anyway, we made fried rice with long beans, bean sprouts, corn, carrots, cabbage, chicken, and kimchi + sambal mee goreng paste. It was amazing. I totally miss asian food. Except the rice was a little mushy, but I am totally proud of myself for having made such wonderful fried rice ALL BY MYSELF (with my other clueless asian teammate) for the very first time unassisted. We also made fried noodles with the same ingredients, and it also turned out great except for a little mushy.



Okay, so it doesn't look very appetizing in the photos, but it tasted pretty good. One girl had 4 bowls of rice/noodles. Safe to say, my European friends loved it. Except for one guy on my team, who doesn't like asian food in general and eats only white rice by itself. But he did try the fried rice upon lots and lots of persuasion, and admitted it was good. Success!

No comments: