This week, on our day off (Wednesday), we drove to Coventry to meet up with friends and visit the place. It's bigger than our tiny sleepy suburban town here, and it's very multi-racial, full of ethnic people and shops. It also has an awesome mall with H&M and Primark, my two new favorite stores in the UK (mostly because they have great stuff and they're cheaper than ridiculously priced Topshop and Mango and Zara and all the other brands).
We explored Coventry University a little - it looks kind of rundown and old, but the Coventry Cathedral within the campus was awesome. They told us that Coventry was badly affected by the world war bombing, and so part of the cathedral was old, part of it was newly rebuilt. I liked the new part, it was cool; but I loved the ancient ruins, there's just something about majestic old buildings that make me stand and stare with amazement even though I've seen a ton of them and they kind of look the same.
This adorable squirrel was the bravest squirrel I've ever seen in my life. And I've seen plenty at Taylor on campus in the spring and fall. I was this close to it and it did not flinch. At all. It just carried on nibbling away. Either it was super brave or it was foolishly hungry.
After the tour, we had lunch at Subway (being around missionaries does upsetting things to my stomach - since we are poor, we always eat either McDonalds or cheap pizza or Subway; it's really sad. I think I've eaten more McDonalds these few weeks than I've ever eaten in the last few years. Sick.)
And then it was shopping time! We shopped till we dropped and then shopped some more. I had to resist extremely strong urges to answer the tempting call of beautiful boots and coats and sweaters, because... they're of no use in horribly hot and humid Singapore. It breaks my heart to leave those gorgeous boots and coats in the store. They need a home. With me. Maybe one day.
Since we were too busy ogling clothes and shoes and scarves and hats, we missed our ride home and had to take the bus back, which took like 3 whole hours. Ridiculous. England needs to get a better bus or transport system.

No comments:
Post a Comment