Monday, October 25, 2010

Visit to Warwick

Last Saturday the girls on my team + two others drove to Warwick to visit friends there, and it was so nice to get away from the base. The town is such a quaint little historic place, I love it!

We went canoeing/kayaking first, which was our main excuse to visit the team there - for their canoeing 'ministry,' which seemed more like having fun canoeing and talking to random people there. Lucky!

It was a little bit scary at first, pushing the canoe into the lake and then jumping into it and hoping to God I didn't fall into the icy cold water. But after a while I got used to the waves hitting the canoe and I even stood up and paddled with my partner.

Apart from going past the 'danger' sign and almost going down the waterfall, I'd say it was a good time. The lake was so peaceful and beautiful, there were swans and ducks swimming everywhere, and we rowed to the Warwick castle, which was magnificent. At the end of the two hours, I was immensely grateful I chose the canoe and not the kayak, because everyone who kayaked got soaked, thanks to the (non-waterproof) waterproof stuff. It was a little bit sad we have no pictures of the lake, because we were all terrified of losing our cameras to the water.

After that we went to have, what else, fish and chips - britain's national food.


And then we saw the church where C.S. Lewis got married in. I think. I know someone famous got married here, I'm not sure who.


Then we went to a local carnival and sat on one of those spinning rides that lift you high into the air and spin you around in all directions. Bad idea. My lunch nearly came back up.


But other than that, the carnival was cool. Lots of bright lights and techno music.


Then it started drizzling but we still made our way to the park, which was beautiful with all the leaves of the trees changing colors. I love fall. Everything's just so crisp and pretty and colorful.



Can you spot the different camera person?


We saw rabbits and squirrels running around all carefree and joyful, and then we spotted a rabbit hole! Coolness. I've never seen one. So I took a picture of it and one guy insisted on having his hand in my photo. It was so funny - we were all crowded around the hole, eagerly taking pictures of it, and someone commented, 'it's just a hole, there aren't even any rabbits here, why are you taking pictures??' And then I realized he was right. But still. I like to think there were little rabbits inside sipping tea (because they're British rabbits) and eating biscuits to keep warm from the cold.

After that we spent the rest of the day talking, playing games, singing karaoke, and laughing. All this while sipping hot tea and munching on ginger biscuits (because we're in Britain).

We heard horror stories about what goes on behind the doors in the guys' room. Apparently one guy shaves his beard every day in front of the mirror and doesn't realize the hairs actually drop to the floor, so there's a pile of beard hair on the carpet right in front of the mirror. Gross. But hilarious. Because this guy is 20 but he acts like a little kid (in a really adorable, endearing way) and he's always smiling and laughing. It's so cute - he's like a little boy.
This same guy didn't know he had to actually scrub the toilets when on cleaning duty, and he's been here almost 2 months! He'd been simply flushing the toilets as a form of cleaning. So. Funny. How does flushing a toilet count as cleaning? I have no idea.

No comments: