We did this session on breaking free from sin and learning how to live in God's ways, and there were different assessments involved. These are some examples. (I'm writing all this down in my blog so I can safely throw away the papers and not feel guilty or bad about it because it will stay here for eternity and I can come back to it anytime).
Trusting Ourselves Appraisal
-Hearing God's word but not doing it
-Thinking we are something when we aren't
-Thinking we will not reap what we sow
-Thinking we can associate with bad company and not be corrupted
What do I want to do about this?
Pride Appraisal
-Having a stronger desire to do my will than God's will
-Being more dependent upon my strengths and resources than God's
-Being more concerned about controlling others than developing self-control
-Sometimes consider myself more important than others
-Having a tendency to think I have no needs
-Finding it difficult to admit that I was wrong
-Having a tendency to be more of a people-pleaser than a God-pleaser
-Being overly concerned about getting the credit I deserve
-Being driven to obtain the recognition that comes from degrees, titles, and positions
-Thinking I've got to have my life in order before God will accept me
What do I want to do about this?
Self-defense appraisal
-Fantasy (escaping from the real world)
-Denial (conscious or subconscious refusal to face the truth)
-Emotional insulation (withdrawing to avoid rejection)
-Projection (blaming others)
-Rationalization (making excuses for poor behavior)
What do I want to do about this?
Personal Worth appraisal
-How successful am I?
-How significant am I?
-How fulfilled am I?
-How happy am I?
-How much fun am I having?
-How secure am I?
-How peaceful am I?
Human Needs
Security/Acceptance: What makes me feel secure and accepted? When I am loved, included, accepted, and complimented; when I have people I love and trust taking care of me, providing for me, and watching over me; when others are interested in my life; when others are with me to face the storms of life...
Sustenance: What makes me feel sustenance? Loving relationships, a good time of rest to myself every so often, when my needs are met...
Significance: What helps make me feel significant? Accomplishments, being of use to others, doing something of good impact...
Achievement: What enables me to feel a sense of achievement? Completing something I'm proud of, getting a job/position I want, doing well at something I care about...
Belief Renewal
I would be more successful if... I base my life on God's goals for me. God has given us life and godliness. We are justified and sanctification has begun. Now I have to adopt God's character goals and be committed to working them out in my life. Success is not based on talents or gifts.
I would be more significant if... what is remembered for eternity is significant. To attain significance, focus on significant activities. Invest in people and do things that will make an impact.
I would be more fulfilled if... I bloom where I'm planted and use my gifts to bless others. We will be more fulfilled if we know our place and make an impact in the context we are in now instead of wishing for more or envying others.
I would be more satisfied if... I live well and produce quality in my relationships, work, and service.
I would be happier if... I want what I already have.
I would have more fun if... I were able to be more spontaneous and uninhibited, and try to please God instead of trying to please people.
I would be more secure if... I learned to depend on eternal things than temporal things. We have little control over the temporal, but we can trust that God will provide for our needs because He promised us He would. We will be most secure if we live according to the values and relationships which will endure eternally.
I would have more peace if... I resolve internal conflict and learn how to have the peace of God. Walking with God, trusting Him, knowing who He is and His intentions are key to this inner peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment