Saturday, December 11, 2010

Manchester vs. Liverpool

We took a road trip to Manchester and Liverpool last weekend, and it was great to get out of this little town for a while and see the world. We were supposed to only go to Liverpool, but something happened at the last minute, and so we gave up our stay at the hostel in Liverpool to stay with a friend's friend in her dorm room at Manchester University instead. So the money we saved on the hostel, we spent on the train ride.


On the train to Liverpool. It was so nice and comfy. We slept all two hours.


The view outside the train. Snow was everywhere.


After taking another 45 minute train to Manchester, we arrived and went shopping.


Then we decided we needed to see some famous attractions instead of just shopping, which we could do in Birmingham. So we took the bus to Old Trafford to visit the Manchester United football club stadium.


The museum + tour cost 11 pounds (22SGD), which was kind of a rip off, but there really wasn't anything else to do. Plus, I mean, it's MAN U's stadium. Even though I don't care about football, that's still pretty cool. David Beckham was once here!


In the museum.


On the hour-long tour of the stadium. It was actually smaller than I imagined, and apparently all the seats are super expensive, except for the ones way up high. The British are really passionate about their football. One guy was like, 'we British call it 'football' because you use your foot to kick the ball. I don't understand why Americans call it soccer. Do they use their socks or something?'


We got to go into the MAN U players' lounge. It was kind of small. And we had a bunch of school kids on our tour - even they were obsessed with football.


Oh, you know... just chillin' where the players hang out. No big deal. 


Their changing room was small too. Even though they had a huge flat screen TV.


This is where the players run out from onto the field.


And that's where the home team sits to support the players on the field.


She's obsessed with MAN U, and was obviously the whole reason why we went to the stadium in the first place.


I didn't really want to spend any money at the MAN U store, but we skipped lunch and I was so hungry I had to buy something, and candy was the only food on sale there. Hence the 1 pound jelly babies.


The Old Trafford mall is supposedly one of the largest in England. It was so huge, we only went to 5 stores when we were there, which was probably 0.1% of the shops.


We had dinner at this movie theatre/bar/restaurant place back in the city.


I ordered kebabs and salad, which sounded good, but the kebabs consisted of two tiny sticks of red peppers, onions, and cheese. And the salad was a mushy mix of brinjal and corn. So not worth it.


I got to meet lots of Mauritians who attended Manchester University, and it was interesting to hear them speak Creole, because although it is supposedly similar to French, it sounded more Indian than anything. Maybe because they were all Indian. We pre-gamed at one of their friends' apartment.


Then we went to a club in the city and it was totally tame. Not at all scandalous like I expected British people to be.


The next day we took the train to Liverpool, and visited the dock there.


Then we got on the Magical Mystery Tour bus for the Beatles' tour. I'm not a huge fan, or a fan at all, but my friends were, so I just went along for fun.


We got to see famous places like Penny Lane (which was just a normal road).


And Strawberry Field.


And previous homes of several Beatles members.


That's our tour guide speaking. He was quick-witted and hilarious. And apparently he acted in some documentary about the Beatles, and he also got to hang out with Paul McCartney, who asked for his autograph because of his work on the documentary.


Our last stop on the tour was The Cavern Club, where the Beatles and other famous bands performed.


This guy was a tribute singer to the Beatles, and his voice was amazing. So was his charisma and personality.



One of the numerous Beatles store around the city.


Dinner was at - where else - Pizza Hut. Seriously. I can't wait to get home and eat cheap good food. Here, it's always either Pizza, Subway, or MacDonald's! But in honor of Sarpino's, I ate lasagna instead of pizza. And it wasn't even good.


My friend and his sister who came to visit and loves the Beatles and doesn't speak more than 10 words of English. They've NEVER been to Pizza Hut in their life. Unbelievable. I told them it wasn't that great.


Night view of the city of Liverpool. The tall thing is a ride.


Since Christmas is coming, there was an ice skating rink and carnival and all.


And of course, the official Liverpool Football Club store, where everything costs so much, it's practically daylight robbery. But I bought stuff for my brother, because that's just the good sister I am.


The Beatles are everywhere in Liverpool.


Back to the huge train station to return home.

In a way, I'm glad my team doesn't have much ministry to do. Because then we get to take road trips like this and visit different cities in England, which is way more fun.

No comments: