So this is Day 1. Here goes.
Movies are like food for my soul. They used to be a form of escapism for me; I absolutely LOVED going to the theaters because two hours of sitting in the dark on a comfortable chair were a welcome distraction from the problems of life. As soon as the opening credits started rolling, I was whisked off my feet and immersed in a new world where I could live vicariously through the lives of the characters. And boy, did they lead interesting lives (as compared to mine). In those two hours, I was carefree. A weight had been lifted off my shoulders, and I was thoroughly entertained, completely engaged, and blissfully happy all at once. But then life would slap me in the face once the lights came on again.
That doesn't happen so much anymore. I don't think it was very healthy to begin with. I feel that movies can provide some sort of escapism from our dull, awful, problematic lives, but they're also a form of entertainment and art. Now I see them as pieces of work, delicately crafted together by talented people who have a story to tell and a unique style in which they communicate their message to the world.
I love movies that speak a beautiful message; I love movies that create a whole new world where the possibilities are endless; I love movies that bring a smile to my face and tears to my eyes; I love movies that are thought-provoking and inspiring; Sometimes I love movies that are just plain fun and goofy.
So I have compiled a list of, in my humble opinion, the best and worst movies I've seen (in no particular order). Enjoy.
Best films
1. Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Beautifully written, with amazing performances by Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins, and an inspiring storyline that maps out the road to redemption with interjections of hope, spirit, and determination.

2. The Dark Knight (2008)
Christopher Nolan is an absolute genius. Heath Ledger's psychotic smile sent shivers down my spine. Add Christian Bale, Aaron Eckhart and Michael Caine to the mix, and you've got a smash hit at the box office.

3. Fight Club (1999)
At first glance, the film revolves around a loser-ish insomniac who meets a conniving soap salesman that seems to be the total opposite of him. Lots of fighting and confusion ensue between Edward Norton and Brad Pitt. But the twist at the end? Absolutely brilliant and downright mind-blowing.

4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
Funnyman Jim Carrey gets serious in this intriguing drama with Kate Winslet about dealing with heartache in a new way - erasing all memories of your former flame to escape from the pain. Don't tell me you've never thought of erasing an agonizing memory before.

5. Beauty and the Beast (1991)
A classic tale of inner beauty and a love that conquers all. Plus incredible songs to sing along with, talking objects, and my favorite princess Belle. What's not to like?

6. Elf (2003)
I love Christmas-related films, and I'm not ashamed to say I like Will Ferrell, so yes, this movie is one of my favorites. Watching Buddy the Elf explore New York City with child-like enthusiasm, eat spaghetti with syrup and candy, and instill the Christmas spirit in everyone is just the perfect movie to snuggle up on the couch with a mug of hot chocolate on Christmas Eve. Plus everyone loves Zooey Deschanel.

7. The Prestige (2006)
Again, Christopher Nolan with Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman equals to an amazing movie that kept me riveted for the entire duration. Magic, intrigue, deceit, and a jaw-dropping twist. Need I say more?

8. Love Actually (2003)
Being a big fan of rom-coms, this is definitely one of my favorites. Several stories chronicle different aspects of love in a magical and wonderful way. Plus it's during Christmas. Many 'awwwww' moments prove that love is actually all around indeed.

9. Up (2009)
To me, Pixar can do no wrong. From Toy Story to Finding Nemo to Monsters Inc., they've never failed to amaze me, and 'Up' is no exception. I laughed, I cried, I re-lived my childhood dreams... I enjoyed the entire movie immensely.

10. 500 Days of Summer (2009)
This oddball rom-com is a whirlwind of fresh air in the world of cliched love stories. It tells the story of a boy who is head over heels in love, and a quirky girl who turns his world upside down. The film goes back and forth in time constantly, and still manages to deliver all the pieces of the story beautifully.

11. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)
An ambitious journalist, a writer with a sense of humor, a bet, and a unique love story makes up one of the most quotable movies of all time (for girls). "Benny boo boo," "Our love fern, you let it die!" "Princess Sophia"

Worst Films
1. The Princess and the Frog (2009)
Disney doesn't usually disappoint, but with its newest offering, I have to say there's a first time for everything. Its modern day version of the classic Frog Prince story fails to muster up the enchanting delight of previous Disney films, and the whole voodoo thing just creeps me out. What happened to innocence and charm?

2. Sin City (2005)
Dark. Violent. Gruesome. Repulsive. It's enough to turn you off in the first five minutes of the film. Although it does attempt to be stylistic, what with the black and white scenes and the yellow blood, the entire plot and concept is overwhelmingly revolting and horrific. It makes me shudder just thinking of it.

3. Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
Americans love this movie. I detest it. It was plotless, meaningless and pure boredom, and the only reason I sat through the entire thing, torturous as it may be, was because I thought it would somehow get better. It didn't.

4. 300 (2006)
Boys love this movie; I have no idea why. It blends violence, gore, hideous scenes of carnage, and weird mythical creatures. My hands were covering my eyes more than half the time. And no, the painted-on abs didn't help.

5. Over Her Dead Body (2008)
You know we've become a completely superficial society when a movie fails because the lead actress (Lake Bell) isn't attractive. Not only that, the storyline falters and flounders like a fish out of water. All in all, a very painful 95 minutes to sit through.

6. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)
I've never been a fan of the Indiana Jones series, and this certainly doesn't change my mind. To blame the entire adventure and mystery on aliens is such a cop-out and a disappointment. It's like they didn't know how to end the story, so they just opted for the easy way out.

7. You Don't Mess with the Zohan (2008)
This was a disaster in so many ways. I love Adam Sandler's movies, don't get me wrong. Big Daddy, The Wedding Singer, and The Longest Yard were hilarious. But this is just too crude and slapstick for my liking.

8. Dragonball Evolution (2009)
Asians love Dragonball, right? Yes, that used to be the case, until Hollywood ruined it for us by casting a Caucasian male as the lead Asian dude. He looks nothing like the cartoon character we all grew up with and love! Are Asians not good enough to carry the movie as the lead?? Plus the entire film was just a joke all around.

9. Superbad (2007)
'Superbad' is super bad, indeed. Three teenage boys answer to the call of their hormones; all they can think about is drinking, partying, and getting laid. Such a typical guy movie.

10. Fighting (2009)
Channing Tatum once again assumes the role of a down-and-out guy who gets discovered because of his talent (in fighting). This slow-paced, utterly predictable, and cliched story is a total yawnfest; even Tatum in all his hotness failed to save it.

11. Gamer (2009)
I admit I haven't actually seen this. The trailers looked semi-interesting, and probably attracted avid gamers, but from what I've heard, this is one of the most brutal, grisly, and savage movie there is. Most people who watched it in theaters walked out after 10 minutes of agony.

So there you have it. 11 of my most favorite and least favorite films of all time.
No comments:
Post a Comment