Saturday, March 20, 2010

Places and faces

I love to travel. It’s the best thing in the world, besides love and chocolate. There’s just something unbelievably delightful about stepping out of the airplane and onto new, unfamiliar ground. Of course, there’s always the tinge of worry and apprehension that comes with traveling, especially when airlines lose your luggage all the time, but for the most part, visiting a new place is a fantastic experience that nothing else can compare to. I just love taking in the sights and sounds of different cultures, meeting and interacting with the people, sampling their food, learning about their heritage and traditions… there’s just so much to absorb, it’s mind-boggling!

I’ve been amazingly blessed with so many opportunities to travel to all kinds of places, as the stamps on my passport will verify, and I am definitely grateful for the rollercoaster experiences I’ve had, because my eyes have been opened to the breathtaking beauty and extraordinary wonders in every corner of the earth. I am also very open to the possibility of more traveling, and it would be great if I could find a job that would let me travel and write at the same time. Oh what fun what would be. But for now, here’s a list of best places I’ve been to.

Best Place to Spot Celebrities (or Be Discovered as One) – Los Angeles, California

Of course, this being the home of Beverly Hills and Hollywood, it would naturally be filled to the brim with all kinds of celebrities. And I had such a whirlwind experience going from free movie premieres to TV show tapings to awards shows at the legendary Kodak Theatre. Definitely a fame-obsessed town – everyone there is either trying to make it big, or already a huge hit.


Catching 100 Monkeys in concert on Sunset Boulevard

Best Place to be Single – New York City, NYC

The Big Apple is totally the city for singles, because you meet people everywhere. Guys tried to get my number at grocery stores, restaurants, clubs, even on the street! NYC’s awesome in general, but it really is a place for singles to have fun, especially if you’re in your 20s, because everyone there is too preoccupied with climbing the corporate ladder (in finance or fashion) to maintain a stable relationship. Plus there’s always something to do in the city that never sleeps – hang out in Times Square, go vintage shopping in SoHo, buy cheap stuff in Chinatown, enjoy the fresh air and musical sounds from buskers in Central Park, watch a Broadway show, and club-hop all over the city.


Hanging out at a bar

Best Place to Retire – Brisbane, Australia

Laidback people, slow-paced life, beautiful beaches, people with fascinating accents… Definitely a great place to live in when you’re done with life’s excitement and ready to settle down in peace and quiet.


At the beach

Best Place to Party – Tokyo, Japan

Hands down, no competition. Cheap yet potent alcohol, crazy fun people, clubs that don’t close till 7am, love hotels… the only negative thing was the ridiculously expensive entrance fee, which can be avoided by going on certain days to certain clubs with special coupons. I never knew the Japanese could party so hard.


At DisneySea (we were too busy partying to take photos of us actually partying. haha)

Best Place to Shop for Cheap Stuff – Malaysia

That’s why all the kiasu Singaporeans take the time to drive in and tolerate the traffic jams – to get the best deals at the lowest prices. We’re all about that sort of stuff, even though the quality leaves much to be desired.


Random pic of a mall

Best Place to Raise a Family – Singapore

I know, I’m biased, but it’s true. Singapore is wonderfully safe, absurdly clean and green (people are still shocked when they realize chewing gum is banned in Singapore), and small enough that it’s not a hassle to go from one end to the other, but also large enough that you could avoid someone you don’t like if you wanted to. No country bothers to invade it because it's so tiny, and yet it's free of earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters. Plus it has all kinds of shops from countries around the world; it boasts good and cheap movie theatres, and the food... That’s a reason all by itself. And it’s not as racist as other countries, or maybe I didn’t feel that way because I was among the majority. Although… the education system still has much room for improvement. Kids are undergoing unnecessary stress and way too much tuition.


Family photo shoot

Best Place to be Entertained – Las Vegas

Every kind of entertainment you could ever wish for is probably here. Okay, maybe not, but there’s a ton of stuff to do here in Sin City. From Broadway shows to magic performances to abundant casinos to lion and dolphin exhibits in hotels to fantastic food to pirate shows to gorgeous malls to crazy clubs to beautiful architecture to wedding chapels… You’ll never be bored.


At the Mirage hotel's fountain show

Best Place to be Swept Off Your Feet by a Handsome Guy on a Motorbike – Rome, Italy

Rome, Vatican City, Florence… Basically anywhere in Italy is delightfully romantic and endearingly quaint. From the charming cobbled streets of the Spanish Steps to the breathtaking magic of the Trevi Fountain to the magnificent artworks of the Sistine Chapel, every monument is spectacular and exquisitely etched in history. Just walking down the street makes you feel as if at any moment, a tall, dark, and handsome Italian man will whisk you off your feet and ride off into the sunset with you on his motorbike (until you reach a gelato shop, and then of course, you will stop for the world’s best dessert).


By the Trevi Fountain

Best Place to Load Up on Weed – Jamaica

Seriously. I was offered marijuana at least 3 times a day, everyday, when I was there. And everywhere you go, on the streets, the smell of weed inevitably wafts up your nose. It’s pretty sad, but still a beautiful place to visit. The white sandy beaches, delicious food, and wonderful hospitality from locals will make your stay a very enjoyable one.


Random pic of us at the orphanage. I swear I've never seen this before.

Best Place to Learn About History – Greece

This country is brimming with rich culture and history, from the ruins of Corinth to the monuments in Athens to the churches and monasteries in Meteora and Philippi. Simply visiting each unique place brings history to life, and the next time you read the Bible, the words will just jump off the page at you and bring you back in time.


The entire group at the Neapolis Monument

Best Place to Live if You Don’t Want to Have a Life – Upland, Indiana

That says it all.


Freshman year, Broomball pick-a-date. Oh that was so long ago!

So these are some of the places I’ve visited in the last few years that stood out to me. Hopefully, there will be more to come!

No comments: