Friday, September 03, 2010

Change the world


I used to have all these lofty, idealistic notions of going out into the world and changing it with a magical wave of my hand. I would speak words of truth, and just like that, bam! Poverty stamped out, abuse annihilated, hate abolished, violence extinguished, disease wiped out...

But now I've realized it takes more than little old me and my hopes, dreams, and visions to change this world that is unyielding in its ways. Even so, I believe every action I perform, as insignificant as it may seem, has the power to bring this world closer to the change it needs. And that's part of the reason why I want to do this (apparently I'm not supposed to be divulging information about what I'll be doing in the next 4 months, so my updates may be a little vague). 

I want to - apart from challenging myself, learning to serve others' needs above mine, finding direction for my life, and reigniting my passion for God - openly embrace the poor and needy with compassionate arms, fight furiously for those who aren't given the rights they deserve, and offer hope and love to the destitute and despondent.

I want You to heal my heart and make it clean.
Open up my eyes to the things unseen.
Show me how to love like You have loved me.
Break my heart for what breaks Yours.

I want to change the world... one person at a time.

No comments: