I can't believe I've been here for 3 weeks already! Once again, time flies. We're officially done with Toolkit - the training sessions - well, almost. We still have one week of classes every month where everyone comes back to the base and we have a big reunion. They divided us up into teams on Thursday - there are 6 teams in total, each with 4 people, and they're all spread out over the surrounding towns.
Our base
When they told us our team arrangements on Thursday, the atmosphere was tense. We all get along, yes, but obviously some of us click better than others, and there are some people we would rather be on teams with than others. So when they revealed the teams... there was a lot of mixed emotions. I think most people were disappointed, because they put us all in teams with people who weren't necessarily similar to ourselves, mostly because I think they wanted to stretch us and challenge us to work with people we might not get along with. Christian love will come into the picture a lot in these next few months, I'm sure.
So yeah, I was kind of disappointed too, because my team was my last choice. I mean not the people - well maybe some of them - but the location. We're stuck here on the base because they haven't found a house for us, so we sent everyone off on Saturday and now it's so empty and sad here. We're working with a local church about 20 minutes away from the base, which I was pretty frustrated about initially, because I wanted to move out to another town, live in a flat of our own, explore different places... but no, we are stuck here. God really has a sense of humor. And that is why I dread group placements - I feel like I always get stuck in the worst group; it's just my luck.
But after I got over the initial disappointment and frustration and sadness, I started realizing maybe this isn't so bad after all, and I really wanted to start off the ministry work with a good attitude, so I tried to see the positives and push away the negatives. The hallways and rooms are still lifeless and empty, but we still manage to have fun with the remaining people.
On Friday we stayed up late, played lots of games, went to someone's house for yummy Indian food, played truth or dare, had a dance party, played more games... and then Saturday we said tearful goodbyes (some girls cried while the guys looked on awkwardly) to the teams who were moving out. After that, I went shopping at the tiny local mall with one of my teammates, and that cheered me up some. At night, the remaining 20 of us (our team of 5 + another team who are moving out 1 week late + the 5 English-learning people + other random stragglers) hung out at the lounge and watched movies + played games.
Today my team went to the church we're working with for the first time; before that, they told us the church was tiny (about 20 people) and filled with old people, so I was expecting a traditional boring church, but I was wrong (thank God). Yes, the people were older, but they weren't in their 90s and about to keel over and go to heaven any moment, like I was expecting. They were probably in their 60s and younger, and they were incredibly friendly and welcoming. We also sang several contemporary songs and they had a full band, which I was excited about because of the drum set! On the whole, I really liked it, so I'm glad we're working with them for the next 3 months. They gave us a schedule of stuff we're doing with them, and it seems pretty relaxing, at least for this coming week, which is good. The past few weeks have been so hectic, it'll be nice to get a chance to breathe.
After church, we all gathered at someone's place to cook lunch - mexican chilli and rice - and it was so good. Then we hung out for a while and headed back to church for the evening service, which was filled with older people than the morning one. But it was pretty cool. There was no structure for the service - people just sang songs or prayed or read from Scripture as led by the Holy Spirit. I liked it. In the evening we went to a local pub and sang karaoke. It was ridiculously hilarious because there's this American guy who went absolutely crazy dancing to every song. He danced like mad by himself in the corner, and his dance moves were so original and funny and so unlike his usual self! All 20 people in the tiny pub had a blast watching him.
Tomorrow marks the official start of our full-time ministry work. I can't believe I'm a missionary. Never thought I would be called that. I mean, it's only for 4 months, but still... it's weird hearing people call us the 'm' word. In a way, I feel like I'm not holy enough to be a missionary.
Anyway, pray that we will be good servants for God's kingdom work, and that my team will gel well together (there are a couple of... interesting characters), and that we will be able to help the church in any way needed.

No comments:
Post a Comment