Friday, September 10, 2010

Missionaries are never (okay, hardly ever) in their own country

Today was Prayer Emphasis Day, and we were supposed to fast from lunch... but I didn't. And neither did a lot of people, apparently. I tried, but I was starving by 2pm, because we eat breakfast at the insanely early time of 7am. So naturally I would be hungry 7 hours later.

But I still prayed. We prayed for missionaries around the world, and some people came up to speak and ask for prayer, like this Korean couple who are going to Syria. It's so cool what they're doing.

But it also made me wonder why God oftentimes gives us a heart for people other than our own. I mean, you hardly see any Korean missionaries in Korea, or American missionaries in America... They usually go to countries halfway across the world. Doesn't anyone have want to reach out to their own people? Okay, I guess I'm making a gross generalization here, but it's just something I thought about. And I guess people who minister to others in their own country aren't called missionaries, but pastors or leaders or just people with a heart to serve. And I guess also God wants us to get out of our comfort zone and minister to people from different cultures and backgrounds so we can learn to depend on Him more.

Okay that's all I wanted to say. Oh, and it's pretty amazing what God is doing around the world :)

No comments: