Food and I share a special bond.
The type of food I consume has a direct impact on my happiness and satisfaction in life. It's awful, how I depend so much on food to keep me fulfilled, but I can't help it. I wish food and I had a different kind of relationship, maybe one where I eat to live instead of live to eat.
I don't know why, but when I'm happy, I celebrate with food; when I'm down and out, I gorge on food to lift my spirits; when I'm angry or frustrated, I stuff my face with food to calm myself down; when I'm bored, I shove food down my throat just so my hands have something to do.
It's a problem, but hey - one life, live it, right?
Everyone has their own comfort foods that make them feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and that's what I love about food - it has the uncanny ability to spark off wonderful emotions in me. So... since food has such tremendous significance in my life, naturally I have a list of comfort foods I love and wish to share with the world (or, more likely, with all of the 5 people who actually read my blog).
My Top 10 Favorite Comfort Foods
1. Chocolate chip cookies
Who doesn't love a freshly baked, warm, chewy, chocolate-chip-filled cookie?? Not me! You can never go wrong with a chocolate chip cookie for a mood boost. In fact, you can never go wrong with a chocolate chip cookie for any occasion.
2. Dark chocolate
Anything chocolate makes me happy, especially dark chocolate, and especially during a certain time of the month. Dark chocolate with macadamia nuts, dark chocolate with hazelnuts, dark chocolate with caramel filling, dark chocolate with raisins, dark chocolate with praline filling, dark chocolate covered biscuits... you get the point.
3. Brownies
I mean it when I say that chocolate = the love of my life.
Therefore, piping hot, moist, undercooked, chocolatey brownies = pure happiness.
4. Peanut butter
Peanuts, I abhor. Peanut butter, on the other hand, I adore. There's just something about its creamy, salty taste that makes my stomach smile. And it's especially good with bananas - for a semi-healthy dessert.
5. Boston cream pie
It's not the most popular dessert in the world - in fact, I'd never heard of it before I went to the States - but it's definitely one of the best. A layer of custard sandwiched between cake and frosted with chocolate? Yum. They served this on the dessert table in the cafeteria from time to time at Taylor, and every single time I savored it was better than the last.
6. Carrot cake
This is actually pretty healthy in comparison, and yet absolutely delectable. I've loved carrot cake ever since I was young, even without the cream cheese frosting, which is, quite literally, the icing on the cake.
7. Oreo cheesecake
Any kind of cheesecake is welcome to my stomach, but oreo cheesecake is one of the top contenders. Or chocolate cheesecake, because you can never go wrong with chocolate. Actually, any kind of cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory is the absolute best, no questions asked. They should open branches of the restaurant around the world; I tried their chocolate caramel cheesecake for the first time in Hawaii, and it was perfect, just like everyone said it was.
8. Mint chocolate chip ice cream
I know everyone loves either chocolate or vanilla ice cream, but I love mint chocolate chip ice cream. Especially the mint chocolate chip ice cream blanketed in fudge and peanut butter and sprinkled generously with chocolate grahams from Ivanhoes in Upland, Indiana. It's one of the things I'll sure miss about that deserted place (besides my college friends).
9. Macaroni and cheese
Another food I learned to embrace during my time in the States. Granted, the school cafeteria usually served up mac 'n cheese that was a little more rubbery than it should be, but it still comforted my stomach. Nothing is better than a steaming hot plate of mac 'n cheese during a chilly winter day. Except maybe a bowl of chilli covered with sour cream and cheese. Yum.
10. Sweet potato fries
These bad boys are ridiculously amazing. Once you've tried them, you can never go back to regular fries. I love potatoes in general - mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, fries - but sweet potatoes, sliced up and fried, take the experience of eating fries to a whole new level. Top them up with some cinnamon, and you'll never look at fries the same way.
Just thinking and writing about all these finger-licking foods makes my mouth water.
But it's almost 10pm. Resist the urge, resist!












No comments:
Post a Comment