Sunday, July 11, 2010

Subiaco sunday




Today, we were late for church, as usual. Mom woke Jedi and I up at 9am, as usual, even though church starts at 9.30am, and she knows Jedi absolutely HAS to take a shower before leaving the house. She claimed she let us sleep longer out of love, but I told her it didn't really make sense, because then she would be nagging at us to hurry up and we'd be annoyed anyway.

So obviously we got there after 10am. It's kind of embarrassing walking into the auditorium late every Sunday, because we're usually at least 30 minutes late.

Speaking of church, the one we attend here in Perth is called FCC - Faith Community Church - led by Pastor Benny Ho, who's absolutely hilarious. The first time I stepped into the church auditorium, I experienced total deja vu. It was like Singapore's FCBC - Faith Community Baptist Church - in every way!
From the singers on stage to the contemporary band to the asian congregation to the style of preaching to the people waving flags along the aisles. Definitely won't be feeling homesick here.

Guest pastor Edmund Chen talked about missions and being available to God. I particularly liked what he said about claiming your faith for yourself.

"Just because you're born in a Christian home doesn't make you a Christian, similarly, just because you're born in a garage doesn't make you a car."

We went to Subiaco again, because we didn't get to explore the area the last time. But this time we only had 2 hours before we had to pick up Jere from the airport, so we didn't get to do much either. So we went to the Subiaco market, a bustling place filled with cheap groceries, quaint stores and delicious food.




(The guy on the right is probably wondering why I'm taking a photo of him. This kind of made me wonder - how many times have I unknowingly been captured in strangers' photos - a nameless face in the background?)


Now that I am surrounded by pizza 24/7, I have become somewhat of an expert at identifying stale pizza. And those slices of pizza definitely look like they have been left on the shelf for at least 3 days.
Other than that, I liked this shop's creative naming techniques - the snail-looking Escargot pastry on the right looked yummy. Although the cheese and vegemite one sounded a little suspicious.


I absolutely adore the apartments near Subiaco Square - they're gorgeous and conveniently located near everything! Wonder how much it costs to rent one (not that I'm thinking of staying here long-term).


And this is Jedi, my brother/grocery carrier. Mom calls him 'Hercules' because he carried all ten bags of groceries without a word of complain. I've decided I like having strong men around when going grocery shopping.
He's also growing out his hair because apparently he wants to cut it a certain style (I think he secretly wants to be Justin Bieber) and streak it grey or something. We try to persuade him out of it everyday, but I guess we all go through crazy hair phases.


And this is our loot from the most adorable little organic shop called 'Angry Almonds.' I loved it. There were all these huge bags filled to the brim with all kinds of wonders - chocolate nuts, gummies, nuts, sunflower seeds, cereals, beans, rice crackers... even turkish delights.


Yummy Japanese snacks. I love how the brown one on the right looks like a cracked egg. And why do the green and orange ones have a tiny rectangle of seaweed on them? Can people even taste it??


Sour cream and chives soy chips. Dee-lish.

No comments: