Saturday, July 03, 2010
Food makes the world go round
Some people say 'money makes the world go round,' I say that's false. Because food definitely triumphs money in the area of connecting people and building relationships. Think about it. When was the last time you shared a bonding moment with someone? It was probably over a cup of coffee, a bowl of noodles, a plate of pasta, a mug of hot chocolate... You get the point.
All that to say... I am learning more about food now than ever. Everyday I discover something new about cooking via the amazing TV show - Masterchef Australia! It's incredible the way they make cooking look so fun and interesting.
So I tried my hand at cooking. I helped my mom make dinner sometimes... And now I have graduated from simply washing the dishes to washing the veggies to chopping them up to stir frying them to making my own chapati (Indian pancakes) from chapati flour and water and other stuff! It tasted good too. I was proud of my achievements. It's actually kind of exciting, making dinner every night.
Plus we get to have different types of food for dinner; so far we've had chapati and minced beef, curry vegetables and rice, Japanese ramen noodle soup, turkey porridge, stir fried vegetables and rice, baked chicken and lettuce...
And last night someone brought over red bean soup with orange peel. It was especially good to have that in this cold-as-ice, uninsulated house.
Having homemade food is definitely an improvement from all that American junk food I've been consuming over the past 4 years. Just thinking about pasta or burgers or fries or macaroni and cheese makes me pale.
So the fact that Sarpino's is located right by Sumo Sushi is total cause for rejoicing. Now I can have all the tuna/chicken teriyaki sushi I want, anytime I want! (There's a Chinese buffet-style place too, but the food looks like it's awfully greasy and loaded with salt, just the way Americans love it, so naturally I avoid it like it's the plague).
I love that the soy sauce from the sushi place comes in a little fish-shaped packet :)
Sometimes we get sushi or bubble tea for free too, because my mom has made friends with all the other asian stall-owners in the food court (of course). It's like our very own little asian food community. The plus is that we get free food occasionally, because we all exchange stuff at the end of the day - a good way to get rid of leftovers.
I'm sure they're as sick of sushi/chinese stir fry as we are of pizza and pasta. Everyday, the aroma of freshly baked pizza wafts into my nostrils, and I feel like it haunts me even after work. You can just call me a walking, talking, breathing pizza, because I smell like oil and grease; my pores are probably clogged with pizza oil too. Not cool.
But I still get a kick out of making pizzas and selling them. As long as I'm busy doing something, I'm not complaining.
So I found something new to do when I'm bored at work - BAKE!
Baking is so much fun, and yet so hard. It's so easy to get things wrong, especially when you don't know how to change the temperature on the oven! Today I baked chocolate chocolate chip muffins and berry cheesecake muffins in the oven at a whopping 220 degrees celsius. They were burnt on the outside and undercooked on the inside. Stupid oven. But they still tasted alright... just didn't look so appetizing.
And the other day I baked chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal nut cookies... Same thing happened. Looked awful but tasted not-so-bad.
I have resolved to slowly improve my baking skills. I will be baking up a storm in the days to come!
To end with a quote - as a wise friend of mine (named Cartoon) once said, while grabbing all the candy she could, "I love food!"
I couldn't agree more.
Labels:
Australia,
Food,
Life musings,
Perth
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment