Sunday, July 11, 2010

I could really use a wish right now


I love this new song by B.o.B., in collaboration with Hayley Williams from ParamoreAirplanes. 

It’s catchy and I like part of the lyrics where it says:
Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars,
I could really use a wish right now.


It just made me think about where I’m at in life… and I could definitely use a wish right now. I would wish to be somewhere with all my close friends doing what I love (i.e. New York City). I don’t know why, but lately I’ve been missing NYC a lot, and thinking about all the fun times I had there last year. It’s probably because my life is boring right now and it’s summer, so this time last year I was having the time of my life. I know if I ever get to go back there it will be different, because I won’t have the same set of friends and do the same kind of stuff, but I just wish I were someplace, any place that is not like a second Singapore.
Because sometimes I really do feel like I’m still in Singapore, minus the excruciatingly hot weather, because everywhere I turn, there are Singaporeans here. It’s like everyone has escaped here, either to run from the difficult education system or from national service. 
Although Singapore is probably 1000x more happening than this place (which is probably the secret evil plan of all the parents – hide their kids away in the middle of nowhere so they have no choice but to focus on studies – great idea, if you were a parent; not so great, if you were the kid).
Anyway, speaking of B.o.B., he’s some new black singer/rapper whose single ‘Nothin’ on you’ I really adore. 
The first time I heard it, I didn’t pay much attention to the lyrics. But then one day I realized what he was actually saying:
Beautiful girls all over the world, I could be chasing but my time would be wasting. They got nothin' on you baby, nothing on you baby.
They might say hi and I might say hey, but you shouldn't worry about what they say
‘cause they got nothin' on you.


I think, in a way, it’s kind of sweet, how he’s saying that even though there are all these beautiful girls in the world, they can’t compete with his girl, and so he won’t waste his time with them. A little idealistic, especially since guys have the most fickle minds in the world, but cute idea anyway.
Also, speaking of Paramore, their song ‘The Only Exception’ is phenomenal! I absolutely love rock bands that produce acoustic songs. The fact that they can go from screaming and yelling to actually singing in a normal tone always amazes me. It’s so rare that whenever it happens, I melt in wonder, and the song becomes my obsession for a few days.

This is Hayley Williams, the lead singer. I think she's breathtakingly gorgeous - the fact that she can have bright red hair, and not look like some fire engine gone wrong, is amazing in itself. I mean, how many people can carry off this look and still look elegant and not like some crazy punk??? She's kind of young too, I think she's 16 or something, and her voice is spectacular. Jealous.

No comments: