Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Movies, sequels, and... threequels?

Some movies should be left alone, because their sequels and those that follow after just do not live up to the original film's greatness. Case in point: Bring It On. The first movie was great in its time - funny, original, and interesting - but the follow-ups don't make the cut at all.

There's Bring it on - Again, Bring it on - All or nothing, Bring it on - In it to win it, Bring it on - Fight to the finish... It's like a never ending stream of mediocre wannabes, all featuring the same plot, just different actors. I'm not unashamed to admit that I own probably 3/4 of the above movies, but hey, they make pretty good background noise when working on class assignments.



I really don't know why Hayden Panettiere agreed to do the movie. Watching her dance and cheer was a bit awkward, but I guess that's why the film pretty much went straight to DVD.

There's also the Shrek movies, all four of them, which progressively get worse. I don't know why they didn't stop at magic number 3.

 

I remember being pleasantly entertained by the first one, with its unexpected hero, somewhat disappointed with the second one, with the annoying Prince Charming and the Fairy Godmother, completely umimpressed with the third one, so much so that I don't even remember what it was about... And the latest one totally lost my attention about 15 minutes into the movie.

More honorable mentions include Legally Blonde 2: Red, White, and Blonde (which just about killed the legacy of the first one). But I still love Reese Witherspoon. She's gorgeous and absolutely talented.



Despite these failures, great movie sequels do exist. Like the Toy Story trilogy, the amazing X-Men trilogy (which opened my eyes to the sensational world of X-Men comics), and Spiderman 1 & 2 (the third one is excluded because it was downright awful).

I also liked Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights, and I actually thought it was better than the first one. Maybe it was because I saw the second one first and the first one probably appealed more to the generation before me. Or maybe it was because the lead guy, Diego Luna, looks like this.


I mean, who wouldn't want to watch a movie starring him??

Anyway, all this was inspired by my viewing of Twilight: Eclipse today. I read all four Twilight books a while ago, so I didn't remember a thing about the third book, but I was super duper excited about the latest movie. It just brought back awesome memories of last year, when I saw the entire cast at the Twilight: New Moon premiere in LA. Good times.


The movie was actually pretty good. An improvement from the second one, which was an improvement from the first one. Plus I totally think Bella is stupid to go for the cold, soulless vampire when she has the hot (in every sense of the word) werewolf right in front of her. So I was glad to see Jacob finally getting some action, even though I know the ending isn't great for him.

*spoilers ahead*
The fourth book was a total disappointment, what with its weird half-vampy baby, Jacob's pedophile behavior, and the horribly anti-climactic Volturi retreat, but... I'm excited to see how this much-anticipated series will end on the big screen.

And on another movie-related note, since I have all this free time now, I recently watched:
  • Hot Rod
    Another one of those idiotic comedies my brothers love. It was mildly entertaining, seeing this grown man acting like a kid, attempting all those stunts, failing miserably, and still thinking he's all that.

  • When in Rome
    I thought the premise was kind of cute, but those stereotypical guys who chased after her were kind of predictable and boring. It could've been better.

  • The Other Boleyn Girl
    This was, hands down, the MOST fascinating movie I've seen in a while. Sometimes I get distracted while watching a movie, and I go on facebook or chat with friends or do something on the side... But during this movie, I was completely captivated. It was just absolutely compelling. The storyline, the acting, everything was brilliant. Great story about ambition, greed, innocence, temptation... all set in ancient times. I was so caught up in the entire thing that I even googled the story after the movie ended, and I found out it was loosely based on a true story. What can I say, I'm a sucker for true stories.

  • Leap Year
    Remember how I just said I usually get distracted while watching movies? Well, I was totally distracted when watching this. It wasn't very interesting at all. Very predictable and monotonous. I already forgot most of it, and I literally just watched it.

  • Remember Me
    Okay, so, I'm not a huge fan of R.Pat, so I was a little reluctant to watch this. But I'd heard good things about it, so I decided to put aside my prejudice and take a chance. And although R.Pat was his usual Twilight self, all mysterious and brooding, the storyline was actually rather riveting. And the ending just blew me away. I literally had goosebumps on my skin.

  • Kick Ass
    This was another one of my brother's favorite, i.e., stupid movie. Violent, horrific, and downright dumb. I don't know who produces these movies, really.

No comments: